J1 vs Kashima Antlers: Match Report

A battle between the teams in good shape. Despite of developing the good game in nervousness, lost the battle for one step missing. The consecutive wins stopped at 6.

2 days interval from the Meiji Yasuda Seimei J1 League 25th section against Vissel Kobe held on the 16th. Cerezo Osaka returned home for the first time in three games and challenged the 17th section against Kashima Antlers. Hiroshi Kiyotake and Tatsuhiro Sakamoto, who rested at the match against Kobe for rotation, and Naoyuki Fujita and Bruno Mendes had also returned to the starters, and it was the match for aiming at the 7 consecutive wins of league match, to the opponent who were in good shape with 5 consecutive league wins.

It was a good entry of the game for Cerezo, and in 7th minutes, Bruno Mendes broke through the center with Hiroaki Okuno as one-two and made a first shot. In 11th minutes as well, Eiichi Katayama dropped the pass from Riku Matsuda and led an chance. However, as Kashima strengthened their press, Cerezo gradually had more time to be pushed into their own field. After the water break, in 28th minutes and 29th minutes in a row, when the goal was threatened by the cross on the right side, they allowed Kashima to score the opener in 32nd minutes. They were robbed of the ball at a high position and received the counter, and Katayama cleared Ryuji Izumi's shot, but the loose ball was pushed into the goal by Juan Alano.

Cerezo was overwhelmed by Kashima's press, but in 36th minutes they quickly caught up with the tie. When they perfectly broke the right side for connecting to Matej Jonic, Matsuda, Okuno, and Sakamoto, Bruno Mendes reacted the returned pass of Sakamoto and shook the net.

After the half-time, Cerezo wanted to start over again, but soon after the beginning of the second half, they lost the second point. The opponent picked up the loose ball of throw-in and made a floating pass, and then the second ball, that Matej Jonic competed to Everaldo, was picked up by Izumi, and Kim Jin Hyeon blocked his shot but Everaldo approached the loose ball and scored.

Cerezo wanted to fight back. In 61st minuts, Lotina head coach sent Yusuke Maruhashi and Yoichiro Kakitani to the pitch, and the left side was activated. More time for Cerezo to go on the offensive. In 71st minutes, Matej Jonic hit a decisive heading from Kiyotake's FK but faced a big save of the GK. In 72nd minutes, Leandro Desabato made a strong middle shot, but it was again blocked by the GK with a good save.

At the end of the game, Cerezo also showed an onslaught to the end against Kashima, who strengthened their defense with 5 backs. In the additional time of the second half, from the flow of Matsuda’s long throw-in, Kashima’s player blocked the Matej Jonic’s kick with his hand in the penalty area but the whistle did not blow. Immediately after, they had a pinch from the counter, but when they surpassed it, they quickly attacked back. Yasuki Kimoto perfectly headed to Maruhashi's cross, but regrettably it hit the crossbar.

While the maximum number of spectators was raised from 5,000 to 8,100 from this section, Cerezo struggled to the end in front of the 6,836 people who gathered, but they lost 1-2. The consecutive wins of league match stopped at 6.