J1 vs Shimizu S-Pulse: Match Review

After a lead with 2 goals in the first half, Cerezo conceded 3 goals
Away game turned to a nightmare

The away game against Shimizu S-pulse took place three days after Consadole Sapporo game. Cerezo Osaka took the lead with 2 goals in the first half, but conceded 3 goals after the break. Eventually Cerezo couldn't come back from behind.

After the kick-off, Shmizu put out an offensive side. After patiently closing them down, Cerezo managed to score an opening goal. On the 24th minute, Yusuke Tanaka met a corner kick from Souza with a header, and Yamamura in the centre jumped and lobbed a shot in the net. The number 24, was on the bench for the last game, and desperate to score a goal. He said before the game “ I ‘d like to contribute to a win”

On the 33rd minute, Yasuki Kimoto met the ball from Maruhashi’s good free kick, and shot the goal from the close range. Kimoto enabled Cerezo to take the lead in front of his parents who were at the stadium. The second goal switched the game. They comfortably played their game rhythmically and calmly. Cerezo who soaked up the applause and delighted the fans went into half time.

On the 47th minute, Yu Hasegawa headed in, but it was flagged for offside. Cerezo was about to concede a goal. Hasegawa was onside. Kitagawa was slightly front. The decision sparked Shimizu and their fans. In the uncanny vive, Tanaka fouled to block Mastubara who was broke-through in the 51st minute.

Shimizu were given a penalty kick. Kaneko’s shot opened the scoring. Shimizu continued to threaten Cerezo. On the 60th minute, Kitagawa trapped the ball from a throw-in, and sent a shot into the net. Shimizu rebounded to make the score level. On the 62nd minute, following a cross from Maruhashi, Kakitani’s header threatened Shimizu, but was saved by the goalkeeper.
Yun replaced both Kakitani and Souza on the 65th minute, but the Shimizu’s domination didn’t stop. Their defensive midfielders easily cut in to possess the ball, and pressed forward. On the 73rd minute, Shimizu attacked from the left back, a cross from Matsubara, and Kitagawa’s left heel hit the target. Cerezo allowed the opponent to go ahead.

On the 76th minute, Santos was sent on after replacing Yamamura. Cerezo played offensively toward the end of the game, but couldn’t create any decisive chances. During additional time, a big chance went begging as the shot was wide. Time was up.

After the game, the players turned up at their meeting zone 30 minutes later than usual. The team had an emergency meeting. Kakitani said, “ We had a good meeting. The team has a strong bond. A single defeat doesn’t affect us. We need a good rest. Further tough games are coming up during the summer. I'd like to play each game the best I can”

Cerezo play against Jubilo Iwata nine days later. Meanwhile, They need to recover their physical and mental strength to focus on strengthening their defense.

J1 Section 21 Shimizu S-Pulse J1 Section 21